First it was the Junction, then San Anselmo, but whatever the town was called, it was always known for its hub. Still is, though the trains that once connected here to go either west to the coast or east to San Rafael have been exchanged for cars. Lots of them.
The Hub is as much a fixture in San Anselmo as Bald Hill or the San Francisco Theological Seminary. It can also be confusing to newcomers, since the Hub is a four-way siphon serving Drake, Center, Miracle Mile, and Greenfield traffic. The following photo album pictures the Hub from 1875 through the early 1940s, and is dedicated to all modern hubsters who have spent many, many minutes waiting for the light to change from red to green.